Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why window blind.

  Why window blind?

 

1. Personal implication

 

A window blind reflects my personality. I'm not a socialized person. I prefer to stay alone and spend time thinking by myself. When I stay behind the window blind, I feel comfortable because it gives me a feeling of hiding from the outside while it allows me to see what is happening out there without being recognized by others. It makes me feel safe.

 Blinds can be opened and shuttered. It also shows my personality in the sense that I easily shutter down my mind when I don’t want to be involved in certain situations or relationships.

The actual size of the blind is 23.0" W x 15.0" H although the final image is portrayed in a larger size. I intentionally chose a relatively small size window blind which is actually about the size of my computer monitor. It represents my subjective view toward the world since my computer monitor is my window to society where I spend most of my private time. I always look at the world with my unique perception as window blind also filters out the light as much as it allows.

 From technical point of view, the small blinds reinforce a short focusing range which creates the abstract images of my project. It also leads to move the focus from outside view of window to the colors of light.

 

2. Symbolic implication

 

 A window blind tells a lot about the person who lives in the room. Blinds can be always opened, closed or even partially opened with certain angles. They might be clean or dirty. By looking closely at blinds in a room, we can assume a lot about the owner’s personality. 

 In my case, I change the angle of my blinds to block sun light as soon as I wake up every morning. After a few minutes, I open the blinds and window to let fresh air into my room. Around noon, I close half of the window blinds to block the sun light. I open the window blinds to see the sunset sky in late afternoon. I open my window blinds only about 15 inches around night time to block the inside light and also to see outside. I like to see outside at night while people cannot see inside of my room.
 
 There are reasons that window blinds attracted my attention to use as a medium for this project. Window blinds are not only used to block the sun light coming into the room but also to block people from looking inside of private space. More interestingly, person inside of the room controls how much he or she wants to be exposed. It also allows managing what he or she wants to see outside. Although a window blind is a substantially important object in a room, people rarely recognize the existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment